- Full Time
- New York City or remote
The 74 Million
Closing Date: December 20, 2023
Digital Content Producer, Education News
The 74 is seeking an experienced digital journalist to help drive the publication’s efforts around content production, audience engagement and editorial projects and newsletters. Working across the organization’s newsroom, product and audience teams, the producer will help build the site’s daily news and multimedia content, shape and polish the brand’s growing queue of weekly newsletters, collaborate with editors on future project strategy, help manage social media promotion, and work with The 74’s audience analytics tools to track overall performance. The producer will also help execute on audience growth strategies, with the aim of driving deeper engagement both across key social platforms and via collaborations with local and national editorial partners, in hopes of converting more outside followers into loyal readers.
The ideal candidate for this position is someone who is interested in multiple facets of a new media newsroom, and is able to work across disciplines of content production, creative storytelling on new media platforms, and audience engagement. This role offers an excellent opportunity for a rising media professional to learn from seasoned journalists and creative storytelling professionals. The producer will also work with The 74’s creative team and developers to ensure that the website, social media, and other channels are optimized to deliver on audience and engagement goals.
- Work with The 74’s technology and engagement teams on producing daily news content through the site’s WordPress backend.
- Work with the technology and engagement teams on strategies to better use The 74’s website, its newsletter, its syndication partners, and its social media channels.
- Work with 74’s technology and engagement teams, and relevant members of the newsroom, to strategize new initiatives to increase The 74’s presence on social media and other content platforms.
- Assist in the production of social video and social media content, including social cuts of video interviews, graphic representations of interviews, splices of documentaries, and explanatory social videos.
- Share ownership of The 74’s social media production, from content creation to content scheduling, and identifying new avenues of exposure and engagement.
- Collaborate with the editorial team to identify opportunities in news content to promote across social media and other platforms.
- Collaborate with reporters and editors to identify multimedia and social media opportunities during the story ideation process to capture innovative storytelling methods.
- Work with editorial leadership to streamline the daily production process, particularly the process of producing more routine pieces of content.
- Participate in newsroom discussions and brainstorming sessions about editorial projects at the ideation stage.
- Work with editorial leadership and other relevant newsroom leaders to ensure that major editorial efforts and projects get appropriate and timely attention from The 74’s technology director.
- Work with others in the newsroom on new approaches to social media content, with particular attention to video-focused opportunities with Instagram and Tik-Tok.
- Identify other avenues of content development and promotion, beyond existing social avenues of Instagram and Tik-Tok.
- Be a creative, innovative and thoughtful engineer of multimedia content and storytelling.
- 2+ years experience with digital news, communications or social media teams
- Familiarity with content management systems and social media platforms
- Ability to file copy on deadline and, when needed, report on events in the news
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced newsroom and in breaking news situations
- Able to create content for all social platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube and TikTok.
- Understanding of SEO strategies
- Experience with web analytics tools, such as Google Analytics, Chartbeat and Adobe Analytics
- Organized and detail-oriented, as you will often be the last set of eyes on content before it goes live for the world to see
- Self-starter comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment
Generous benefits package, 401k match, and vacation/holiday calendar, including 15 days of PTO and a paid summer and winter recess.
Location: Flexible, reporting into a NYC-based manager. (We offer a flexible work environment with access to shared office space in our New York City headquarters, as well as shared office spaces in most major American cities, and the ability to work from home. Preference may be given to NYC-area candidates who can meet more regularly with their assigning editors)
The 74 is committed to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran statuses, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About The 74
The 74 Media is an award-winning nonprofit education news site covering education in America. In the United States, less than half of our students can read or do math at grade-level, yet most education coverage and debate fails to focus on the kids who are being left behind, the barriers to increasing student achievement, and what’s working for students and families. Our mission is to lead an honest, fact-based conversation about how to give America’s 74 million children under the age of 18 the education they deserve.
The 74’s coverage enjoys extensive reach, thanks to our strong, strategic social media presence, our syndication on such mass-audience platforms as Apple and Yahoo News, and our ongoing editorial partnerships with publications such as The Texas Tribune, Fast Company, Axios and The Guardian. Our newsroom consists of 19 editors, reporters and videographers along with a network of a dozen standing contributors. In addition to daily news coverage, we also publish a robust opinion page and are known for long-form enterprise features, in-depth investigations, short-form documentaries and informational explainers. Beyond the newsroom, we have published multiple books, launched numerous microsites targeting specific topic areas, and hosted/moderated more than 100 education events across the country.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com