- Full Time
- North Carolina
Closing Date: October 21, 2023
EducationNC is a daily online, nonprofit, nonpartisan source of news and analysis about essential education issues for North Carolina residents. For the last nine years, our work has focused on informing North Carolinians about the major trends, issues, and challenges bearing on early childhood, K-12, and postsecondary education in North Carolina.
We’re an organization that has grown our audience 140% in the last two years, and we’re now looking to expand our news team with the addition of a reporter.
The reporter will work closely with our K-12 team and the director of content to tell the important stories about education in North Carolina. This should include both breaking and daily news pieces as well as long-term enterprise stories.
A typical day could look like visiting a school to profile the principal, covering a committee meeting at the state legislature or local school board, or diving into data about public school enrollment trends.
This is a full-time, remote position. Applicants can be based anywhere in North Carolina.
- Researching, writing, and reporting stories for EdNC.org
- Pitching your own story ideas and working under the direction of the news leadership team
- Taking photos and videos
- Using social media to promote your work and the work of EdNC
- Forming relationships with sources across the state
- Travel across North Carolina (and occasionally beyond!)
We’re looking for someone:
- With strong news judgment and writing skills
- With basic photo, video, and social media skills
- With excellent verbal and written communication
- Who is comfortable with analyzing data
- Who is a leader
- Able to collaborate and work independently
- Able to work under both breaking news and long-term planning deadlines
- Flexible and able to pivot as needed
- With a background or interest in education, policy, journalism, and/or communications
It also helps if you have:
- Reporting experience, whether that’s in a professional or student newsroom
- Knowledge of Associated Press style
- An understanding of North Carolina
We know there are great people who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. EducationNC is an equal opportunity employer. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary starts at $45,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. Paid time off and sick days are provided.
Please send your resume/CV and three work samples to email@example.com. In the subject line, put “Application – Reporter.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled. Due to the number of applications, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
EducationNC (EdNC) works to expand educational opportunities for all students in North Carolina, increase their academic attainment, and improve the performance of the state’s public schools. We provide residents and policymakers with nonpartisan data, research, news, information, and analysis about the major trends, issues, and challenges bearing on education. We gather and disseminate information employing the most effective means of communication, primarily through the Internet. In addition to the content distributed, we encourage an active and connected community of those interested in education policy and practice throughout the state. Our work encourages informed participation and strong leadership on behalf of the students of North Carolina.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.