Higher Ed Seminar 2020
Racial Reckonings Amid COVID, Recession and Political Conflict
The Education Writers Association will hold its 2020 fall Higher Education Seminar on September 15-16 on the theme of “Racial Reckonings Amid COVID, Recession and Political Conflict.”
While struggling with immediate crises such as the current pandemic and funding collapse, many colleges around the country are also being pressed to finally confront the long-entrenched systemic racism that has reinforced inequities in opportunity.
Held online, this training event will offer dozens of story ideas, practical reporting tips, access to leading experts and chances to connect with colleagues. To make sure you get a seat, register now. (Journalists can apply for a scholarship to cover their registration fees here.)
This year’s seminar will examine, among other topics:
- The rise — and impact — of student activism.
- How colleges are changing the way they teach about race and racism.
- The momentous financial challenges facing many colleges — especially minority-serving institutions.
- The impact of the pandemic and racial conflicts on the mental health of college students, and what colleges are doing to help.
- The equity implications of reduced reliance on tests and other looming changes to college admissions practices.
Registration is $200. Journalists can apply for a scholarship to cover registration less a $35 deposit (refundable after the journalist completes the post-event evaluation). Questions? Email us.
We are no longer accepting Journalist scholarship applications.
Registration has now closed for this event.