- Full Time
UC San Diego
Closing Date: December 29, 2023
UC San Diego Magazine
UC San Diego
Hiring Pay Scale: $83,250 – $100,000 / Year
University Communications is an award-winning, full-service division dedicated to increasing awareness, communicating impacts and spreading the value about UC San Diego to the region, the country and the world. The department works collaboratively with campus departments and the health system to convey the amazing things UC San Diego students, faculty, staff and alumni are doing and help UC San Diego departments implement strategies to reach their audience through marketing, brand management, news and media relations, social media, web and interactive communications, executive communications and visual communications. The department reports to the Chief Communications and Marketing Officer.
The Creative and Digital Strategy Department provides creative services and resources to University Communications departments and the Chancellor’s Office. We also offer creative services to campus departments on a recharge basis. We are responsible for logo design and development of brand templates, maintaining photo and video asset archives, development of core campus websites, and production of UC San Diego Magazine.
Under the supervision of, and in collaboration with, the Editor-in-Chief of UC San Diego Magazine, the Managing Editor is responsible for the production and distribution of an award-winning publication that highlights the distinction, prestige and global impact of UC San Diego.
The Managing Editor is directly responsible for the development and distribution of relevant stories, news and communications that promote university research, as well faculty, staff and alumni achievements that advance the university’s strategic plan. Serves as a liaison between campus partners, academic schools and marketing and communication teams. Solicits, receives and catalogs story ideas from multiple media channels, colleagues and campus partners and evaluates against university strategy and priorities. Researches and writes articles, profiles and features, conducts interviews, and covers events. Distributes and enforces the magazine’s production schedule to ensure timely receipt of content. Oversees scheduling and production of the online magazine, enhancing content with the use of video and rich media. Oversees print production and distribution with input from editor.
The Managing Editor promotes a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and acts in accordance with the principles of community. Provides superior customer service to internal and external constituents. Serves as a strong facilitator and liaison to advance the mission and goals of the organization. Actively, deliberately and thoughtfully infuses inclusivity and diversity throughout university communications.
- This position is eligible for a Hybrid flexible work arrangement, which could include a non-standard work schedule, and/or the ability to work off-site part of the time. Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
- A cover letter required for a complete application.
- Demonstrated ability and experience overseeing the creation and distribution of relevant and appropriate institutional publications efforts supporting the promotion of programs and services through strategic planning, research, writing, and content development.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism or communications with demonstrated experience and mastery in writing, editing, publishing, journalism or public relations or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge of issues in higher education, a specialized academic discipline or field and/or health sciences.
- Advanced skill in taking initiative to creatively identify and pitch story ideas to senior management and clients.
- Advanced research and fact verification skills.
- Advanced project management, organization and problem recognition, avoidance and resolution skills. Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to lead projects and programs to completion, determining priorities and demands of diverse constituents. Strong ability to set priorities that accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities and take into consideration deadlines, competing requirements and complexity.
- Demonstrated competency and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Job offer is contingent on clear Background Check.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full benefits first day of hire:
- a) Health/Dental/Vision Insurance.
- b) Vacation/holidays (15 vacation days & 13 paid holidays a year).
- c) Work/Life Balance.
- d) UC Retirement Plan
- e) Pet insurance.
For more information about UCSD Benefits visit – https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/ and Work/Life visit – https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/.
To calculate an approximate value of the UC Total Compensation package, please click here – https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html.
If employed by the University of California, you will be required to comply with our Policy on Vaccination Programs, which may be amended or revised from time to time. Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.