- Full Time
- Remote (Remote)
Website Education Writers Association
Closing Date: April 6, 2024
Education Writers Association
The Education Writers Association (EWA) is seeking an enthusiastic and enterprising Program Specialist to advance our work to strengthen the community of education writers and improve the quality of education coverage to better inform the public. Current and former journalists are encouraged to apply, and experience covering P-12 and/or higher education is a plus.
The Program Specialist will help us deliver in-person seminars and virtual training events for our members, including education journalists, coordinate and facilitate other programs and promote these opportunities to our members. This is a chance to grow and learn — and to connect with journalists and experts around the country. As the national professional organization of members of the media who specialize in education, EWA believes high-quality education journalism plays a key role in helping improve education and informing the public. EWA has more than 2,000 members benefiting from its training, information, and customized support.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop sessions for in-person journalism conferences as well as webinars, which includes conducting research and interviews, framing issues and recruiting speakers
- Help plan and organize special mentoring and training projects, such as student journalism programs
- Research and track issues in education and journalism
- Collect and analyze member feedback on EWA events and report results
- Write website and other promotional copy about training events, including email newsletters and social media posts
- Recruit attendees for events as needed
- Help monitor and ensure EWA is making timely progress toward the completion of specific grant commitments
- Contribute to grant reports
- Assist in operations support
- Other duties as assigned
- Top-notch writing, research, and verbal communications abilities
- Excellent collaboration skills. We’re looking for a team player who tackles tasks large and small with enthusiasm.
- Ability to think strategically, proactively identify issues, and generate recommendations
- Superior organizational and time management skills and attention to detail
- Strong project-management skills
- Takes initiative and demonstrates creativity
- Ability to thrive under tight deadline pressure
- Demonstrated proficiency across digital platforms, including social media
- Bachelor’s degree required
- One to two years of professional experience preferred
- Background in journalism, education issues, or both areas preferred
- Excellent computer knowledge. Proficiency in Google Workspace, MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and Google Apps required. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and basic CSS/HTML a plus.
In addition to our fun and rewarding environment, EWA offers a number of benefits for our full-time, full-year staff:
- Paid Annual & Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays and Winter Recess Week
- Health/Vision/Dental Coverage (individual premiums mostly paid by EWA)
- Life Insurance/AD&D, 2x salary (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- Short & Long Term Disability Coverage (100% of premiums paid by EWA)
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan (EWA contribution after one year)
The salary range for this position is $55,000-$60,000.
Send a resume and a detailed cover letter (as attachments) explaining why your skills, interests, and experience make this opportunity the right fit to jobs+PS@ewa.org. Please also include three writing clips as attachments. No phone calls, please.
EWA’s office is conveniently located in downtown Washington, D.C., near the Farragut North and West Metro stations. This position may be held remotely and requires periodic travel to the Washington metro region and to EWA events around the country.
EWA is committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff and is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment. All employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.
To apply for this job email your details to jobs+PS@ewa.org