- Full Time
- Remote, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Closing Date: December 14, 2022
Reporter for NMEducation.org
Location: Remote, based in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Launched in 2018, NewMexicoKidsCAN: The New Mexico Campaign for Achievement Now is a local nonprofit organization that advocates for community-informed, student-centered and research-backed education policies. Connecting policy, instructional practice and politics, the organization works to reimagine what is possible in New Mexico’s public education system to ensure our students become the future community, civic and business leaders New Mexico needs. To learn more, visit www.nmkidscan.org.
NewMexicoKidsCAN is part of 50CAN: The 50-State Campaign for Achievement Now, a nonprofit organization that works at the local level to advocate for a high-quality education for all kids, regardless of their address. 50CAN develops local education leaders by providing them with the research, tools and ideas needed to create learning environments that best meet every child’s needs. 50CAN operates campaigns in Connecticut, Delaware, Denver, Georgia, Hawaii, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina and Tennessee and is led by CEO & Founder Marc Porter Magee.
New Mexico Education is a project of NewMexicoKidsCAN.
New Mexico Education is an advocacy news site focused on education in New Mexico. NewMexicoKidsCAN is seeking an experienced reporter to cover education news across the state, and in New Mexico’s largest school district, Albuquerque Public Schools.
Our coverage spans the state’s responses to, and outcomes of, the Covid-19 pandemic, charter school expansion and the impacts of policy decisions on students, families and communities. Most importantly, we keep a sharp eye on New Mexico’s work to advance equity—what is working, and what still needs to be done to ensure every student receives a high-quality education that enables them to fulfill their dreams and become the future leaders New Mexico needs.
As an advocacy journalism site, we strive to be fair and thorough. We approach issues with the perspective that educational equity should be a priority. In particular, we believe that all families should have the same array of choices and resources necessary for their children to succeed.
Key responsibilities include:
- Pitch, report and write stories for the news site
- Help local citizens tell their stories through interviews and ghost-written opinion pieces
- Develop all content and stories for New Mexico Education
- Write and publish on average at least two (2) stories per week
- Manage the editorial calendar
- Review submissions for guest columns
- Manage the WordPress site for New Mexico Education, including posting all stories and setting the homepage
- Capture photographs to go alongside stories, as needed
Who you are
- Experience as a beat reporter with an interest in – and preferably experience reporting on – education and social issues in urban environment
- Comfortable writing for an organization that takes an advocacy approach to its journalism
- Experience writing in newspaper style under deadline pressure
- Comfort taking on contentious issues and asking hard questions of people in positions of power
- Experience with building sources and developing story ideas
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, copy editing proficiency and a strong working knowledge of multimedia (including written, video and photography)
- Experience sourcing, developing, writing, creating and publishing news stories
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills as well as the ability to be flexible and work independently
- Ability to thrive with minimal direct supervision/management and to communicate effectively with internal and external teams
- Dedication to ensuring consistency and high standards across all our published work on New Mexico Education
- Embodies 50CAN’s core values (“PORCH”): plussing it, optimism, relentlessness, candor and humility
- Employee may be required to work outside of normal business hours, including weekends and evenings. Examples include: Legislative session meetings and school board meetings
- Oral and written fluency in Spanish
- An understanding, or experience reporting on, K-12 education reform in New Mexico
- Experience collaborating with a diverse and decentralized staff
- Experience with WordPress
Working at 50CAN
This position is fully remote with a starting date as soon as possible. The salary range is determined based on experience and qualifications. This role will require some travel for full-staff events and other planning session.
In addition, 50CAN offers a comprehensive benefits package. 50CAN is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply. Full compliance with our organization’s policies regarding COVID-19 includes the requirement that all new hires are to be fully vaccinated.
How to apply
Interested applicants should apply through 50CAN’s BambooHR portal here. Please submit your current resume and cover letter through the BambooHR portal.
Job Seekers: Help EWA by mentioning that you found this career opportunity on EWA’s website.
Employers: Looking to find the best talent in education reporting and communications? Post your employment opportunities with EWA.